Savor this Dundee cake made with glace cherries, almonds, raisins and currants.
- 75 gms chopped glace cherries
- 110 gms currants
- 50 gms chopped mixed peel
- 110 gms golden raisins
- 50 gms ground almonds
- 225 grms butter
- 225 gms castor sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 tblsp blanched almonds
- Grated rind of one lemon
- 1 tsp cherry
- 350 gms plain flour
- 110 gms raisins
How to make dundee cake:
- Grease and line a 18cm cake tin.
- In a bowl mix together golden raisins, peel, ground almonds, currants, raisins and cherries.
- In a separate bowl beat the butter till soft then add castor sugar and the lemon rind and beat till light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs together and then gradually add to the creamed mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Mix the flour and the baking powder in a separate container and sift it well and add to the creamed mixture along with the cherry and all the dried fruits mix together earlier.
- Pour this mixture into the greased tin, try to create a hollow in the center and cover that center with the almonds.
- Bake this cake for 2 1/2 – 3 hours at 325 degrees F or till a skewer pricked into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- When done cool the cake in the tin for 15 minutes and then let it cool completely on a wire rack.