Here is a quick tutorial for making sugar syrup or cheeni ki chasni. Chashani is used in various indian sweets and desserts like jalebi, chikki, maalpua and many more.
- 2 1/2 cups Water
- 3 tbsp Milk
- 4 cups sugar
- Mix half of the water with the milk and divide this mixture into five equal portions.
- Dissolve the sugar in the remaining water in a pan and bring it to boil.
- Now lower the heat to moderate. After this first boiling add one of the five reserved mixtures to the boiling sugar and mix well.
- Discard any scum from the top.
- Boil up again and add the second portion. Discard the scum again and repeat the process with next two portions.
- Use the fifth portion to clean down the sides of the pan. Now the clear syrup is ready to use in most sweets.
- The next stage is one string syrup. To achieve this, keep boiling the syrup until a drop of syrup leaves one string between your thumb and finger. Continue to boil for two, three or four strings.