ALOO POSTO RECIPE
2 green chillies
5 - 6 medium potatoes
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp pure ghee
2 tblsp mustard oil
4 tblsp poppy seeds (khuskhus)
salt to taste
1/2 tsp onion seeds (kalonji)
How to make aloo posto :
- Take off and cut the potatoes into one inch sized pieces.
- Keep them in water.
- Soak poppy seeds in one cup warm water for fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Remove and grind to a fine paste.
- Heat up mustard oil in a pot till it just reaches smoking point.
- Remove, cool and heat up the oil again on medium heat.
- Mix in kalonji and stir-fry briefly.
- Mix in potato pieces and stir fry on medium heat up for five minutes, stirring frequently.
- Mix in the poppy seeds paste, stir and mix in half cup of water, cover and stir fry on low heat up till the potatoes are almost done.
- Take off the lid, mix in salt, sugar and slit green chillies.
- Continue to stir fry for a minute more or till potatoes are completely cooked, stir in desi ghee and serve hot.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...