Crispy Karela fry is simple easy recipe. The bitterness along with
the sweetness of the sugar and tartness of amchur (dry mango) makes
it an ultimate side dish for dal chawal or hot paranthas. Crispy
karela fry is an ideal recipe for travelling in trains or packing
food for long distance and you want to eat healthy home cooked meal
and avoid outside food or you have a health corcern.
Total Time: 30 mins + few hours of keeping aside
Serves: 2 – 3
- 250 gms Bittergourd / Karela
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tblsp Mustard Oil
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/4 tsp Red Chilly Powder
- 1/2 tsp Amchoor Powder
How to make Crispy Karela Fry
- Wash and cut karela in thin round pieces.
- Apply salt and turmeric and leave for a few hours or overnight in the fridge. Squeeze and remove the water.
- Heat mustard oil in a heavy bottom kadai.
- Add cumin seeds and when they begin to sputter add the cut karela with little salt and sugar.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes or till 3/4 cooked.
- Then add dhania or corianderpowder and red chilly powder. Mix well and cook further for another 4 – 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 tsp Amchoor Powder and cook for few more minutes.
- Crispy karela fry is a delicious combination with hot dal-chawal or simple plain parantha. Best recipe for travelling or for lunch packs.