500 gms gunda (a kind of berry)
oil as required
1/4 cup salt
3/8 cup turmeric powder
3/8 cup fenugreek seeds coarsely grounded
a big size pinch asafoetida
1/8 cup mustard seeds coarsely grounded
150 gms mango pieces
1/4 cup red chilli powder
How to make gunda :
- Cut the gunda and scrape the seeds with a salted knife.
- Mix in a little salt and turmeric powder.
- Wash the mangoes completely and wipe them completely dry.
- Cut into cubes and take off the soft seeds.
- Mix everything fenugreek, mustard and turmeric powders.
- Heat up 2 cup oil in a pan.
- Set it aside till it cools down to lukewarm.
- Pour out the oil over the powders and mix well.
- Heat up salt slightly in a dry pot on low heat.
- Take it off and in the same pan, heat up red chilli powder similarly.
- Mix in both these ingredients to the oil masala.
- Mix in the gunda and the mango pieces cubes to the masala mixture and mix till all of them are well coated with the masala.
- Transfer into a dry ceramic or a glass jar.
- Set it aside for 4 – 5 days without mixing.
- Heat up enough oil to completely cover the pickled gunda and mango cubes.
- When the oil has cooled down completely mix in to the jar.
- Keep the jar covered tightly.
- The pickle will be ready to serve in about a week.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...