Pheni kheer is prepared with milk at the time of Sargi. Pheni kheer is very thin sewiyan prepared in milk just like vermicelli kheer and garnished with dry fruits. Generally you get readymade pheni disks in the sweet shops on the Karva Chauth. It is a tradition to have pheni on karwa chauth day along with other sargi items.
Pheni Kheer Recipe | Karwa Chauth Fenia | Sargi Special Pheniyan
Pheni kheer is a must item in the Karwa Chauth thali. Ladies prepare fenia on this special day and have it early morning during sargi. It is believed that having fenia in sargi helps ladies go without water and food for the entire day. So lets learn how to make feni for Karwa Chauth. Pheni is a wonderful traditional milk based dessert which can either be served chilled or can be relished hot too. It is very easy to make and hardly takes few minutes to preapre. Do try this creamy and rich pheniyan kheer this karwa chauth for sure.
- Pan / Kadai
- Pheni (Thin Noodles)
- Dry Fruits
- Cardamom Powder
- 100 gms Pheni
- 1 litre Milk
- 75 gms Sugar
- 1 tsp Cardamom Powder
- Saffron a few strings
- 12 Blanched Almonds
- 12 Pistachios
- 10 Raisins
How to Make Pheni Kheer For Karwa Chauth:
- Soak saffron in a little warm milk. Keep aside for later use.
- In a large heavy bottom pot dry roast pheni.
- Keep stirring frequently to allow equal roasting. Keep the flame low so as to not burn the pheni.
- Keep aside.
- Now boil the milk in the same heavy bottom pan. Add saffron milk , cardamom powder and sugar.
- Reduce the heat to medium and let the milk simmer for few minutes.
- Add the feni and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Pheni will swell up in size and soak up some milk. do remember to keep stirring with a light hand.
- Switch off the heat. Add blanched raisins, pistachios and almonds. Add rose water. Switch off the flame.
- Dish out the pheni and serve either hot or cold.
Storage Tips :
- You can store phenia for 2 – 3 days easily. Just pack the feni in an air tight container and keep it in the fridge. Later either you can consume chilled or you can reheat them in a microwave and relish them hot.
Reheating Tips :
Microwave: Reheat it for 2 mins in microwave.
Stovetop: Keep heat low to avoid overcooking.
Boil 1 tblsp of water separately and add it to pheni kheer and heat it for 5 minutes on low flame stirring occasionally.