KAIKARI ISHTEW RECIPE
1 medium cauliflower (phool gobi)
1/2 cup french beans (flas beans)
1/2 cup green peas (matar) (shelled)
2 medium onions ( pyaj)
4 green chillies
1 inch ginger (adrak)
6 clovesgarlic (lasan)
10-12 curry leaves (kari patta)
2 cup coconut (narial) (scraped)
4 tblsp groundnut (moong fali) oil (tel)
2 tblsp coconut (narial) oil (tel)
2 bay leaves
2 star anise (dagad phool)
2 one inch sticks cinnamon (tuj/dalchini)
salt (namak) to taste
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
How to make kaikari ishtew:
- Wash, peel and cut carrot, beans and potatoes into equal sized cubes. Cut cauliflower into small florets and soak in salted warm water.
- Peel and slice the onion and wash and slit the green chillies.
- Peel and grind the ginger and garlic to a smooth paste. Wash the curry leaves.
- Soak the coconut in 2 cups of warm water, grind and squeeze out thick milk. Repeat this process two more times but with only one cup water to get totally three extracts of varying density.
- Par boil the vegetables one by one, drain and keep aside.
- Heat both the oils together, add the bay leaves, star anise and cinnamon and fry till it releases the flavor. Add the onion, curry leaves and green chillies. Keep sautéing till the onion just starts becoming light brown.
- Add the vegetables and green peas and sauté for a couple of minutes. Pour the third extract of coconut milk and boil.
- Now add the second extract of coconut milk. Simmer and reduce by half.
- Season with salt to taste, remove from heat and add the first extract of coconut milk.
- Bring back to simmer, sprinkle the garam masala and serve hot.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...