JACKFRUIT PUZHUKKU RECIPE
12-16 raw jackfruit (kathal)
1 cup coconut (narial) (scraped)
1 tsp rice (chawal)
1/2 cup green gram split (moong dal)
1/2 tsp red chilli (lal mirch) powder
4 red chillies whole
salt (namak) to taste
2 tblsp coconut (narial) oil (tel)
How to make jackfruit puzhukku:
- Take raw jackfruit cut into 12-16 segments. Choose large jackfruit segments, which are not fully ripe. De-seed and cut into two or three pieces.
- Soak half the coconut with rice and grind lightly.
- Broil the dal in a kadhai for a couple of minutes, cool, wash and boil in two cups water till soft and completely cooked.
- Add the jackfruit sections and continue cooking.
- Add chilli powder, red chilies broken into two and salt. Stir well.
- Add the scraped coconut and the coconut paste to the vegetable. Simmer till it thickens.
- Drizzle the coconut oil on this, remove and serve immediately.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...