2 cup Maida (unbleached flour)
1/4th cup fine Semolina (Sooji / Rava)
2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp whole Black Peppercorns (coarsely cracked)
1/8th tsp Baking Powder
2 tblsp Curd / Plain Yogurt
7 tblsp warm Water
4 tblsp melted Ghee / Oil
Ghee / Oil for deep frying
How to make mathri:
- Mix the flour, salt ,cracked pepper and baking powder in a bowl.
- Add the ghee and rub between your palms until it takes the form of breadcrumbs.
- combine the curd with water and and form a pliable but firm dough using this liquid.
- Cover with the damp cloth and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into small balls and roll out all the balls.
- Heat the ghee / oil in a kadhai or deep-frying pan.
- Fry the rolled mathris in a batch over moderate heat.
- Do not allow the rounds to become brown, they should remain pale gold in color.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Repeat the process for frying all mathris.
- Well sealed, they will keep for 2-3 weeks.
- Note : after frying is completed, allow the oil to cool for 15 minutes and, while still warm, strain through a fine sieve to remove any bits of flour.
- Oil can be further used.