KANJI VADA RECIPE
1kg Urad Daal
2 pinch of Asafetida (Hing)
36 glasses of Water
4 tsp Rai (ground)
Oil to fry
3 tsp Salt or to taste
2 tsp Red Chili Powder
Oil for deep frying
How to make kanji vada:
- For Bhallas :
- Clean, wash and soak the daal overnight.
- Grind it into smooth paste.
- Add salt to taste and whisk it very well so that the mixture is fluffy.
- Heat oil in a pan and drop a spoonfuls of batter and fry till golden brown on a moderate heat.
- Take care not to make the vadas too thick.
- For Kanji :
- Heat tawa (griddle) and put the a pinch hing on it.
- Take an earthenware pot (matka), and as soon as the hing emits an aroma (smoke), turn the pot upside down on the tawa to soak up the smell.
- Now fill the pot with 36 glasses of warm water and rai, salt and chili powder, mix well..
- Add the fried vadas to it.
- Cover the mouth of the pot tightly with muslin / cheese colth.
- Keep the pot in sunlight for 7-8 days.
- Take care to keep inside in a warm place at night.
- After 8 days it tastes sour (khatta) it is ready to be served.