DAHI VADA RECIPE
1/2 Cup Urad daal
1/2 cup moong dal duli
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp grated Ginger
Oil to fry
For Dahi :
2 cups Dahi (yogurt)
Finely chopped coriander leaves
1-2 green chilies chopped
Salt to taste
2 tsp Roasted cumin(jeera)powder
Red chili powder to taste
1 tsp sugar
How To Make Dahi Vadas:
- For vada - Clean, wash and soak the daal overnight or 7 - 8 hrs.
- Separate the water and grind them together into smooth paste without water or if necessary then very little water. The paste should be coarse and not fine.
- Take out the paste in a bowl and then beat the mixture for 10 - 15 minutes till the mixture becomes fluffy. This will make the vadas soft.
- Add salt, cumin seeds, ginger and baking powder.
- Heat oil in a pan for frying and drop small balls of batter in the oil with the help of a spoon. The flame should be medium. Do not put more than 8 - 9 balls.
- Fry till golden brown. Then take them out on kitchen paper.
- In a bowl fill 2 cups of warm water with 1 tsp salt and put the vadas in it. Let them soak for 1/2 hr.
- Meanwhile prepare the dahi. For Dahi - Beat the curd smooth and put in a bowl.
- Keep in refrigerator for an hour to get chilled.
- Before serving add salt, red chili powder, sugar and roasted cumin powder to the dahi .
- Serving - Squeeze out the vadas from the water and in a deep dish arrange the wadas and pour dahi over them.
- Pour imli (tamarind) chutney and green chutney.
- Garnish with coriander and slit green chillies.
- Serve the dahi vadas chilled.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...