ALOO TIKKI RECIPE
3 large boiled aloo (potatoes)
1 tsp salt or as per taste
1/4th tsp ground black pepper
2/3rd cup matar (green peas) cooked or frozen peas defrosted
1/2 tbsp scrapped and minced ginger
1/4th tsp garam masala
1/4th tsp salt or to taste
Red chili powder to taste (optional)
1tsp coarsely ground dry-roasted cumin seeds
Oil for pan-frying.
How to make aloo tiki :
- Take the cooked or defrosted peas (matar) and mash them using a
spoon or a fork. Add all the stuffing ingredients except oil and
mash briefly. Divide the mixture into 10 equal portions and keep
- Peel the potatoes and mash them very finely into smooth mashed
potatoes. Add salt and pepper and knead until properly mixed.
- Divide it into 10 equal portions.
- Now wash and dry your hands and rub them with little oil.
- Take each portion of potato mixture and make a ball. Now
- Taking one at a time, gently flatten each ball into a round patty
of about 1/2-inch thick and place a portion of stuffing in the
center and fold the edges together very finely so that mixture does
not come out.
- Now very gently flatten it into a 2-inch patty. Repeat the
procedure for all pieces.
- Heat 1 tsp. oil in a non-stick pan over a low heat. Slip in the
patties, not too many at a time, and pan-fry on both sides till
crisp golden brown, adding oil if required, on a very low heat.
- Serve aloo tikki hot with chutney and stirred curd.
Note : Boil potatoes until fork-tender.
Preferably, potatoes should be boiled well in advance before use. It
would be better if they can be refrigerated for a short time.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...