TAMARIND RICE RECIPE
Tamarind is a popular rice recipe of the south
India. Tamarind or imli as it known otherwise makes this dish tangy.
2 cups basmathi rice
1/2 cup tamarind juice
salt to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp jaggery powder
1 tsp fenugreek
a pinch of asafoetida
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp channa dhal
6 red chilly
100 gms sesame oil(as needed)
a bunch of curry leaves
1 tsp peanuts
How to make tamarind rice:
- Pressure Cook the rice and spread on a plate. keep aside.
- Heat the non-stick skillet add fenugreek and asafoetida dry fry
(without oil) for a minute.
- Grind this into a fine powder. Set aside.
- To the tamarind juice add salt, turmeric powder, jaggery, ground
powder of fenugreek and asafoetida.
- Fry mustard, red chillies, channa dhal, peanuts and curry leaves
in sesame oil.
- Pour into the tamarind juice mixture.
- Boil tamarind juice till it reaches thick gravy form and until
oil comes out with good flavour.
- Add cooked tamarind gravy to the rice.
- Pour in 1 tsp. of oil, if needed. Mix well and serve.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...