SWEET TURNIP AND CARROT PICKLE RECIPE
2 1/2 kgs Turnips (Shalgam) and Carrots (Gajar) (peeled and scraped)
75 grams Red chili pepper (Lal Mirchi)
120 grams ground Mustard seeds (Rai/Sarson)
15 grams ground white Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon (Dalchini) powder
60 grams dry Dates (Khajoor)
60 grams Tamarind (Imli)
30 grams Ginger (Adrak)
90 grams Onion (Pyaj)
30 grams Garlic (Lasun)
125 grams Salt (Namak)
1 1/2 teaspoons Vinegar (Sirka)
75 grams jaggery
250 ml Mustard Oil (Sarson Ka Tel)
How to make sweet turnip and carrot pickle:
- Soak tamarind and dry dates separately each in the cup of water overnight.
- Mash and take out pulp from the tamarind.
- Cut the dates in long slices and remove the stones.
- Heat the oil and fry ground onion, ginger and garlic and in it stir tamarind pulp and long slices of date, round pieces of turnip, 1/8 inch thick, and long pieces of carrots, ground spices, salt, cumin seeds and Red chili pepper and mix well.
- Put in a clean jar, keep in the sun for 4 days, and shake it every other day.
- Make thick syrup of jaggery with a cup of water and mix into the pickle and again keep in the sun for 6 days shaking it once daily.
- Serve after 10 days.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...