NIMBU KA MITHA ACHAR (Sweet Lemon pickle) RECIPE
340gms smooth-skinned Lemons
1/2tsp Fennel seeds (crushed)
1/2tsp Cumin seeds (crushed)
1/2tsp cracked black pepper
1cup shredded jaggery (gur)
1/3cup fresh Lemon juice
How To Make Lemon Pickle:
- Wash and thoroughly dry the lemons.
- Set them in sun or air dry in oven for 5 minutes.
- Slice each one lengthwise into 8 pieces.
- Combine the salt, fennel seeds, cumin seeds and black pepper in a
small bowl and mix well.
- Arrange a layer of citrus, cut side up, in a jar. Sprinkle with
the salt spice mixture. Alternate the two ingredients until the jar
- Combine the jaggery with the citrus juice in a small saucepan.
Bring to boil over high heat, stirring constantly, then reduce the
heat to low and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Cool to Luke warm then pour over the citrus in the jar.
- Cool to room temperature and cover with a cloth.
- Set in the sun every day for 5 weeks; bring the jar inside every
- Shake the jar 2-3 times in a day.
- After 5 weeks do not set it in the sun, but continue to shake for
another 2 weeks before use.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...