CARROT PICKLE RECIPE (GAAJAR KA ACHAR) RECIPE
3 cups water
230gms carrots (scraped and cut into 2"long sticks)
11/2 tbsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/8 th tsp each ground mace, cloves and cardamom
1/4 th cup shredded jaggery (gur)
1/3rd cup mustard oil
- Boil the water in 2-litre saucepan. Add carrots and blanch for a
- Drain the water and then spread carrots on a clean cloth and
sundry (or spread them on a towel lined cookie tray and air dry in
an oven (200-degree Fahrenheit) for an hour).
- In a bowl mix the mace, cloves, cardamom, salt and jaggery.
- Add the carrots and toss to mix. Transfer to a sterilized glass
- Pour the mustard oil into a small saucepan and place it over a
moderate heat. As soon as oil begins to smoke remove it from the
heat and cool it for 4 minutes, then pour it into the jar and cover
it with a clean cloth.
- Set the jar in sunlight for 13-14 days, bringing it indoor
evrynight. Shake the jar two or three times daily.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...