SOUTHERN CURRIED CHICKEN RECIPE
Smack your lips for the curried chicken with poppy seeds, turmeric, cashew nuts, and ghee.
3 dried chillies
2 tblsp poppy seeds (khuskhus)
2 tblsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seed (jeera)s
1 tsp ground turmeric (haldi)
1/2 tsp ground ginger (adrak)
6 cashew nut (kaju)
2 cups (500ml) hot water
4 small Onion (Pyaj), chopped
4 cloves garlic (lasan), crushed
6 chicken breast fillets, cut into 3 cm pieces
juice 1 lemon
How to make southern curried chicken:
- Combine chillies, poppy seeds, coriander, cumin, turmeric, ginger, and cashew nuts in a blender or spice grinder. Blend to a smooth paste.
- combine coconut in a bowl with 2 /3 cup (150ml) hot water, stand for 3 minutes. Press coconut through sieve, reserve milk.
- Pour 1 1/3 cups (350ml) hot water over the coconut, stand 10 minutes. Press through sieve, reserve milk.
- Melt ghee in a frying pan, stir in onions, garlic, and spice paste, for 3 minutes. Add chicken, fry on all sides until brown. Remove chicken and set aside.
- pour the 1 1/3 cups (350ml) coconut milk into the pan, simmer sauce until reduced and thickened.
- Return chicken to sauce. Add the 2/3 cup (150ml) coconut milk and lemon juice. Simmer 10 minutes.