MURGH MUSALLAM RECIPE
10 flakes garlic (crushed)
2 tbsp grated ginger
Salt To Taste
1 cup curd or plain yogurt
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup long grain rice
3/4th cup shelled peas
6 bay leaves
1 cup ghee
2 large onions (finely chopped)
225gms/1/2 lb tomatoes (peeled & sliced)
2 cups hot water
3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
2 tsp garam masala powder
1 tbsp turmeric powder
6 black peppercorns
1 brown cardamom
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tbsp roasted coriander powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp saffron strands
How to make chicken murgh musallam :
- Mix three-quarter of garlic with half the ginger, half the garam
masala, 1 tbsp. salt, 1/3rd of turmeric, half of curd and the lemon
juice and mix to paste.
- Make small cuts in the chicken flesh and rub the paste all over
and in the cavity. keep aside for 2 hours.
- Half cook the rice with peas, remaining garlic , 4 cloves,
peppercorns, 1/2 tsp. salt, brown cardamom and 4 bay leaves and
water and use to stuff chicken.
- Heat the ghee in saucepan and fry the chicken until brown all
over, being careful not to let the stuffing out. Drain the chicken.
- In another pan fry half onions in the remaining ghee with 2 bay
leaves, remaining cloves and green cardamoms, until golden.
- Add the remaining turmeric and chili powder. Make a paste
grinding together the coriander and cumin seeds and the remaining
onion and grated ginger.
- Cook, stirring, for 5-10 minutes, until the ghee starts to
separate. add the remaining curd, the tomato and 1/2 tsp. salt.
- Add the chicken to the pan and baste with the spice mixture. Pour
over 300ml/ 11/4 cups of water, cover and cook in a moderately hot
oven (200 degree centigrade, 400 degree Fahrenheit, gas mark 6) for
- Steep the saffron in the remaining garam masala powder and
coriander leaves before serving murgh musallam.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...