VALCHE VIRDI RECIPE
21/2 cup sprouted and skinned Val beans
2 cup grated Coconut (Nariyal)
4 tblsp grated Jaggery (Gud)
4 Green chilli (Hari mirch) slit lengthwise but stem end intact
1 tsp Black Mustard seeds (Rai/Sarson)
1 tsp Cumin Seed (Jeera)
A pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
Few Curry Leaves (Kari Patta)
To taste Salt (Namak)
2 tblsp chopped finely Coriander Leaves (Dhania Patta)
3 tblsp Oil
How to make valche virdi:
- Heat the oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, allow them to pop.
- Add half of the cumin seeds.
- Add asafoetida, curry leaves and green chilies, saute for a minute.
- Add the val, a little water. jaggery and salt.
- Cook over low heat until the val is soft but not mushy.
- Grind the coconut and the remaining cumin seeds to a fine paste.
- Stir the paste into the curry and simmer for a minute.
- Serve hot, garnished with coriander leaves.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...