PURAN POLI RECIPE
450 gms Chana Dal
500 gms Sugar (Cheeni) or Jaggery (Gud)
250 gms Wheat Flour (Gehun Ka Atta)
50 gms Flour
5 tsp Oil
1/2 grated Nutmeg (Jaiphal)
50 gms powdered Cardamom (Elaichi)
Pure ghee for serving
How to make puran poli:
- Wash the chana daal and cook with a little or just enough water.
- Drain out the extra water.
- Add sugar or jaggery to the cooked daal and cook on low heat until the mixture becomes thick.
- Remove from heat and pass it through a sieve while still hot.
- Add grated nutmeg and cardamom powder.
- Stir well and remove from heat and keep aside to cool.
- Mix the wheat flour, flour, oil and enough water knead into a smooth dough.
- Keep it aside for an hour or two.
- Divide the gram daal mixture into ping pong sized balls and the flour dough into slightly smaller balls and roll them out a little.
- Place the gram daal ball in the centre of the rolled flour dough and close it to cover the filling completely.
- Roll out into a chapati and bake on a non stick tawa till done on both sides, adding a little ghee around.
- Fry till done.
- Serve hot with pure ghee.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...