PUNERI DAAL RECIPE
1 cup split Yellow Lentil (Toor dal)
4 tblsp fresh grated Coconut (Nariyal)
1 tsp Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
1 tsp Cayenne Powder
2 tsp Goda Masala
2 tsp grated Jaggery
1 tsp Black Mustard seeds (Rai/Sarson)
To taste Salt (Namak)
1 tsp Cumin Seed (Jeera)
A pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
Few Curry Leaves (Kari Patta)
2 tblsp chopped Coriander Leaves (Dhania Patta)
1 tblsp Oil
How to make puneri daal:
- Clean, wash and drain the lentils.
- Simmer the lentils in double their quantity of water until soft.
- Add all the spices, coconut, jaggery and salt.
- Simmer for a minute and remove from the heat.
- Heat oil in separate pan and add mustard seeds, allow them to pop and then add cumin seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Stir for few seconds.
- Pour this over the cooked lentil, mix well.
- Serve hot, garnished with chopped coriander leaves.
- Goes well with boiled rice.
- Serve hot with tamarind chutney.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...