PANDHRA RASSA RECIPE
1 kg skinned and cut into pieces Chicken
2 medium sized chopped finely Onion (Pyaj)
11/2 tsp Garlic Paste (Lasun Paste)
1 tsp Ginger Paste (Adrak Paste)
1/2 grated dry Coconut (Nariyal)
10 Cloves (Lavang)
1inch long piece of Cinnamon (Tuj/Dalchini)
1 1/2 tblsp Black Cumin Seed (Jeera)
3 cut into pieces dried Red Chili (Lal Mirchi)
11/2 tblsp Poppy seeds (Khuskhus)
To taste Salt (Namak)
11/2 tsp Red Chili seeds
11/2 tsp Coriander Seeds (Dhania)
2 cup Coconut Milk (Nariyal Ka Doodh)
1/2 cup stirred Plain Yogurt / Curd (Dahi)
1 tblsp Raisins (Kishmish)
1 tblsp Cashewnut (Kaju)
3 tblsp Ghee / Vegetable Oil
How to make pandhra rassa:
- Wash the skinned pieces of chicken properly and apply the ginger-garlic paste on them thoroughly, set aside.
- Grind together dry coconut, black cumin seeds, poppy seeds, coriander seeds, red chili seeds, cardamom seeds and 8 cloves, adding a little water and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tblsp oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add cinnamon, red chili pieces, cashew nuts, raisins and remaining cloves.
- Stir fry till cashew nuts turn golden.
- Now add chicken pieces to it and fry well.
- Lower the flame and cover the pan.
- Put a little water on the lid and cook till almost done.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large pan and add onion.
- Fry till it becomes translucent.
- Add the grinded paste and stir fry and add curd and stir for two minutes.
- Add the cooked chicken and 2 cups of water, and bring to boil.
- Add coconut milk and stir well.
- Boil only once to avoid curdling.
- Serve hot with rice, pooris or roti.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...