Qaabooli is like a Hyderabadi biryani where layers of dal and rice are set one after the other and then allowed to cook till done. Here is a mouth watering recipe of qaabooli.
Rice 1 kg
Bengal Gram Split (chana Dal) 250 gms
Salt to taste
Green Cardamoms 6 no
Cinnamon 2 inches stick
Cloves 8 nos
How to make qaabooli:
- Wash and soak the rice for half hour. Then boil with salt and
half the whole garam masala till almost done.
- Wash and soak the chana dal for half an hour. Boil with salt, a
little turmeric powder till just cooked (al dente).
- Heat oil, add the remaining cinnamon, green cardamom, cloves and
- Add shahi jeera and when they crackle add ginger and garlic
pastes and saute.
- Add chopped green chillies and a little browned onions.
- Add the cooked dal, garam masala powder, finely chopped coriander
leaves and stir to mix well.
- Add turmeric powder, stir and take it off heat. Add yogurt and
- Transfer half of the dal mixture into another pan.
- Spread half the rice over the dal mix, spread browned onions,
garam masala powder, chopped mint leaves, lemon juice, saffron
dissolved in water or milk.
- Spread the remaining dal over this followed by rice, browned
onions, garam masala powder, chopped mint leaves, lemon juice and
- Cover with a tight fitting lid. After 2-3 minutes lower the heat
and let it cook till done.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...