Baghare Baigan Recipe
Find out how to make baghare baigan hyderabadi style which has coconut, tamarind and tadka of curry leaves.
500 grams Brinjals
4 medium Onions
5 grams Ginger
2 nos. Garlic cloves
12 grams Coriander seeds
40 grams Sesame seeds
70 grams Peanuts
5 grams Cumin seeds
3 grams Poppy seeds
20 grams Dessicated coconut
2 grams Fenugreek seeds
2 grams Turmeric powder
5 grams Red chilli powder
6 grams Jaggery
75 grams Tamarind
4 grams Curry leaves
As per taste Salt
120 ml Oil
How to make baghare baigan:
- Soak the tamarind in 1 cup of water. Mash and sieve to get
- Discard the residue and set aside.
- Wash the brinjals, make 2 inch slits along the length ensuring
that the end is intact.
- Roast the onions on a griddle till they soften and turn light
- Dry roast together on medium heat the coriander seeds, sesame
seeds, peanuts, cumin seeds, poppy seeds, dessicated coconut and the
fenugreek seeds till they darken slighly and start emitting an
- Grind together the onions, roasted spices, ginger, garlic, salt,
turmeric powder, red chilli powder and jaggery to a fine paste.
- Mix in the tamaind water.
- Keep aside some of this mixture and stuff the brinjals with the
- Heat oil, add the curry leaves and saute for a few minutes.
- Add the stuffed brinjals and fry for about 10 minutes. Add the
reserved paste and mix gently.
- Add little water, cover and cook on medium heat, stirring
occasionally but very gently.
- Cook till the brinjals are thoroughly cooked and oil leaves the
sides of the pan.
- Serve hot with rice or parathas.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...