KOOTTU CURRY RECIPE
A curry of a miscellaneous variety of vegetables and Bengal gram
1/2 cup Bengal gram Dal
2 tblsp White gram dal
1/2 cup Grated coconut
1/4kg (all together) Pumpkin, snake gourd, Long runner beans, yam, cucumber
1/2 cup Inner flesh of drum stick
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
3 Green chillies
Salt to taste
1/4 cup Coconut oil
1 tsp Mustard
3 Dried red chillies
2 sprig Curry leaves
1 tblsp Ghee
How to make koottu curry:
- Grind 1/2cup grated coconut with turmeric powder and green chillies into a fine paste..
- Pressure cook the bengal gram dal with salt and water to a thick gravy
- Clean and cut the vegetables into small pieces. Boil the vegetables by steaming.
- Heat oil and season mustard, white gram dal, dried red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add the ground coconut mixture. Saute for sometime, till the water dries. Add the cooked vegetables, salt and bengal gram dal to it and simmer it on low heat
- Heat 1tbsp ghee and fry the 1/4cup grated coconut in it till golden brown. Season the koottucurry with it and mix well.