Mawa Gujiya Recipe
Here's a delicious mawa gujiya recipe that can be enjoyed at Holi and Diwali time and can be stored for a longer time. Learn how to make mawa gujiya. Though it looks tricky making the gujiyas but if proper procedure is followed these mava gujiyas always turn out perfect.
Makes : 20 - 22
Total time : 2 hrs
2 cups refined flour (maida)
250 gm thickened milk (mawa)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp cardamom powder (elaichi)
10-12 almond (badam)
10-12 raisins (kishmish)
1 tblsp Coconut Powder
300 gms Ghee or Refined Oil for frying
How to make mava gujiya:
- Dry roast the thickened milk in a pan until it turns light brown and then remove it from the flame.
- Grind sugar to a powder.
- Finely chop almonds.
- Mix sugar, almonds, raisins and cardamom powder together.
- When the mava cools down add sugar to it and mix well.
- Add 5 tbsp ghee in the maida and rub it well in the maida with the fingers. With the help of water knead it into a soft dough. Cover it with a wet cloth and keep aside for 1/2 hour.
- Make about 10 small round balls of it and roll them into small puris of 7 " diameter and 1 centimeter thickenss.
- If you are using a gujiya cutter. Then place the the puri in the cutter and then put 2 tblsp of mava material and then close the cutter. This will seal the gujia. Now carefully take it out and place on a oil smeared plate. Repeat the same procedure with the rest of dough balls.
- If you are not using the gujia cutter the follow this process. With the help of of a finger smear little water on the edge of the puri and take 1 tbsp of rawa material and place in the center of the puri then fold it in a half moon shape and press and seal the edges tightly. Make sure the eadges are neatly sealed. Repeat the procedure with remaining dough balls.
- Now heat ghee in a pan on medium flame and then deep fry all gujhiyas at low flame from both the sides till light brown. Do not place more than 5 - 6 gujias at a time.
- When the gujiyas start floating on the top turn them. Keep turning them every five minutes to get even brown color on all sides.
- Take them out on a kitchen napkin with the slotted spoon and the mawa gujiya are ready.