GUJARATI GATHIYA RECIPE
Gathiya is a popular Gujarati tea time snacks. Gathiya is made of gramflour moulded into strips and deep fried. Here is the recipe for how to make gathiya. It is an easy to make savoury which can be served during Holi.
Makes : 500 gms
Total time : 60 mins
1/2 kg gramflour (Besan)
Salt to taste
1 tsp Ajwain
1/2 tsp Red Chilly Powder
100 gms Oil
1 1/2 tsp Soda Bicarbonate (Cooking Soda)
Oil for frying
How to make besan gathiya:
- Seive the besan, soda bicarbonate and salt together. Now add red chilly powder and ajwain.
- Now add oil to the besan and salt mixture and rub it well so that it starts forming rough balls.
- Now with the help of water knead a dough. Add water little by little to ensure that the dough does not get too soft. Then grease the dough with some oil and keep it covered with a wet cloth piece. Keep it aside for 1/2 hour.
- Now heat oil in a kadai.
- While the oil is heating up divide the dough into 2 parts and place 1 part in the gathiya maker with big holes mould.
- Keeping the flame medium, press the gathiya maker and let the strings fall in the oil.
- Fry till golden crisp.
- Drain excess oil and soak them on tissue paper. Let them dry in open air. Break into small pieces.
- When cool store them in a airtight container.