HOT CROSS BUNS
15 gms Active dry Yeast
1/2 cup warm Water
1 cup warm Milk (Doodh)
1/2 cup Sugar (Cheeni)
1/4 cup Butter
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
1 tsp Salt (Namak)
1/2 tsp Nutmeg (Jaiphal) Powder
7 cup Refined Flour (Atta)
1/2 cup Currants (Kishmish)
1/2 cup Raisins (Kishmish)
2 tblsp Water
1 Egg Yolk
1 recipe Icing
How to make hot cross buns:
- Heat the milk and water to 110-115 degrees f.
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water.
- Add the warm milk, sugar, butter, vanilla, salt, nutmeg and 3 cups flour.
- Beat until smooth.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating continuously.
- Stir in the dried fruit and enough flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic for about 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl and turn over to grease the top.
- Cover with a damp towel and keep aside in a warm place till the dough rises to double its original size (about 1 hour).
- Punch the dough down and divide into 30 balls.
- Place on greased baking sheets.
- Using a sharp knife make a cross mark(x) on each ball.
- Cover again and let it rise until doubled (30 minutes).
- Beat the water and egg yolk together and brush over the buns.
- Bake at 375 degrees f for 10-12 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks.
- Drizzle icing over the top of each roll following the lines of the cut cross.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...