MASALEDAR NARIYAL LAUKI RECIPE
3 tblsp onions chopped
1 cup coconut (narial) scraped
1" cinnamon (dalchini)
a pinch asafoetida (hing)
8-10 peppercorns (kali mirch)
2 tblsp oil
1 1/2 tblsp tamarind (imli) pulp
4 - 6 cloves
3 red chillies whole
1 tsp turmeric (haldi) powder
1 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
8 - 10 curry leaves
2 tblsp coriander seeds
1 tblsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 medium size bottle gourd (lauki,doodhi)
salt (namak) to taste
How to make masaledar nariyal lauki:
- Take off and wash lauki. Cut into 3/4 " cubes.
- Dry roast coriander and cumin seeds.
- Make a paste of roasted cumin seeds, coriander seeds, peeled ginger, garlic, whole red chillies, peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon, turmeric powder and scraped coconut. (reserve one tblsp of scraped coconut for garnish.). Keep the paste aside.
- Heat up oil in a pan.
- Mix in asafoetida and mustard seeds.
- Once they begin to crackle, mix in curry leaves and cut onions.
- Stir fry for two minutes and mix in lauki.
- Stir fry for 5 minutes. mix in the masala and coconut paste, dissolved in 11/2 cup of water. Stir and bring it to a boil.
- Dissolve tamarind pulp in water if it is too thick.
- Mix in to the gravy. Add salt and mix well.
- Serve hot decorated with grated coconut.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...