Lauki Halwa Recipe
Lauki halwa is a delicious Indian dessert made by cooking grated doodhi or lauki or bottlegourd in milk along with sugar and ghee.Lauki is readily available in summers and so this dish is an ideal refreshing dessert for the sweet tooth. Here is a simple recipe for how to make lauki halva.
1 small sized lauki (bottle gourd)
1/2 litre milk
3/4 cup sugar (or as per taste )
2 tblsp desi ghee
A big pinch of green cardamom powder (chotti elaichi)
Few raisins, almonds, pista or cashew nuts for garnish
How to make lauki halwa:
- Peel the laukislit it length wise and remove any seeds if any. Grate the lauki and keep aside.
- Take a heavy bottom wok or kadai. Heat the ghee and add the grated lauki. The mixture will get a lot watery but stir constantly and fry till the rawness of the lauki desappears.
- Now add milk and raisins and mix well. Let the lauki cook on low flame till the milk evaporates and lauki gets compeletly cooked. Stir it occasionaly so that the mixture does not stick.
- Let the milk dry up completely.
- Now add ghee and sugar.The mixture will become little loose once the sugar melts. Add the cardamom powder. Keep stirring till all the moisture dries up.
- Garnish with finely chopped almonds, pista and cashew nuts. Serve hot.
1. Always buy medium size soft lauki which is evenly green colored.
2. Always use heavy bottom pan while making halwa.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...