Ingredients like sooji, coconut and sugar go into this stuffed pastry which is the south Indian counter part of the north Indian gujiya
1/2 kg plain flour (maida)
4 tbsps ghee
water to knead the maida
oil for deep frying
For the filling:
1/2 c grated coconut
1 c sooji
1 c sugar
1 tsp green cardamom powder (hari ilaichi powder)
15 cashews, chopped
5-6 almonds, chopped
How to make kajjikayal:
- First, rub the ghee into the maida well.
- Now make a dough that is not too soft by kneading this flour with cold water.
- In a wok, heat some ghee and roast the grated coconut till is pink in color.
- Take it off and roast the sooji in the same vessel.
- Powder the sugar and mix sooji, coconut, cardamom powder and dry fruits with it.
- Now roll small thin puris of the dough and fill in this mixture.
- Fold the stuffed puris so as to form a half moon and seal well.
- Deep fry these puris and serve hot